Emergency! There is a real emergency situation in America. It started in the mid 1990′s. It’s now in epidemic proportions.
It may not even be reversible – and we do it every single day!
What’s causing it?
OK, you say. I’m listening. Well, sort of…
Yes, it’s our food supply. And yes, ho hum, you’ve been hearing about insecticides and other contaminants for years. But although that makes “some” people nervous, it’s often not enough to get the rest of us to do anything about it – like change our eating and buying habits. After all, we’ve grown accustomed to what we eat now. We like what we eat. A lot. We don’t want to change. we’re used to it.
Then please bear with me here. This may seem boring now, but if you keep reading, and (most importantly) watch the video near the end of this article you WILL be HORRIFIED. I’m NOT kidding.
The problem is that our food supply has been, and is being, manipulated for the profit of multi-national corporations – at our expense. And the expense is not just monetary – It’s our health, the health of our children, and even our survival that is being impacted. These corporations are doing this under the guise of lowering food costs, feeding the hungry, and making the whole world happier. And in America they seem to have full government support. (In Europe and 30 to 40 other countries, these products are already BANNED.)
They’re killing us.
There are two major contributing factors. First is world-wide contamination by chemicals. The second is the lesser known, but even more dangerous practice of genetically modifying plants and animals to make them “better”. These “new” plants and animals do not exist in nature. They are man-made alterations called Genetically Modified Organisms, GMO, GM, GE or transgenics. More on this later.
In my lifetime (I’m 71 years old) the rate of many diseases has skyrocketed. When I was young hardly anyone knew what autism was, let alone knew anyone who had it. Today almost everyone personally knows someone who has a relative with autism. The rate of children “on the autism spectrum” has exploded to recent estimates as high as 1 in 88 (1 in 60 for boys). Some studies show the rate doubling every 5 years, or less! Similarly, look at the dramatic increases in obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer, and a myriad of other diseases that nobody ever heard of a few short years ago.
Look also at the dramatic rate of increase in allergies. For instance, when I was young I knew NOBODY who was allergic to peanuts or peanut butter. Today, so many children are strongly allergic to peanuts that common peanut butter and jelly “PB&J” sandwiches are banned from being brought to school in kid’s lunches. Why this huge change?
An ever increasing flood of people, including me, strongly believe that industrial chemicals, lack of correct nutrition, and eating GMO “foods” is the major cause of the above illnesses. (When you’ve finished reading and watching this post, you’ll likely join the flood.) What we put in our bodies, and what we don’t, tells a bleak tale of our plummeting health today. “You are what you eat”, and “Let food by thy medicine” (Quote by Hippocrates) has never been more true. America, in particular, is a nation of “over-fed and under-nourished” people, Especially when you add GMO foods. We need to wake up and pay attention to what we’re shoveling into our mouths.
The number of chemicals our population is exposed to DAILY is easily in the thousands – from chemical fertilizers, insecticides, food flavorings, coloring agents, preservatives, stabilizers, gasoline fumes, exhaust fumes, cigarette smoke, smog, air fresheners, perfume, cosmetics, antibacterial agents, hundreds of plastics, hand cleaners, shampoos, tap water, and on and on and on…
Sure, some of these may not be “too bad”, but probably “not too good” either. Relying on the FDA to “protect us” is foolhardy (see the full-length movie below – PLEASE). Their decisions are strongly influenced by the very powerful pharmaceutical, chemical, genetic engineering, and food conglomerate industries. Look at the career backgrounds of the FDA leaders. Most are constantly being recycled between the FDA and those very industrial giants they’re supposed to be protecting us from. It seems the “bottom line” – the profit – wins almost every time at the expense of our population’s health. And the health of our wonderful planet.
Modern genetic engineering began in 1973 when researchers used enzymes to cut a bacteria plasmid and inserted another strand of DNA in the gap. This milestone, the invention of recombinant DNA technology, offered a window into the previously impossible — the mixing of traits between totally dissimilar organisms. The new world of GMO, Genetically Modified Organisms, had arrived.
For many years, with my technical background, I fell for the story. What wonderful things could be done by carefully picking genes for positive traits from one organism and giving them to another. For example, taking the genes for natural insect resistance, or fast growth, or cold tolerance of some plants and giving it to food crops. Wow! What promise it had.
Little did I realize (Wow was I naive!) that greed would quickly take over to cripple honest farmers, and monopolize the seed industry, and worse, to threaten our health and even the survival of MAN. Strong statements? – keep reading!
The “fly in the ointment” was (and still is) the very crude methods used to “insert” the foreign genes into the final product. The methods are akin to “shotgunning” and not only insert the desired genes into the “right” places, but also insert them randomly into many “wrong” places. The result may be a product with the new desired characteristic, BUT with potentially thousands of UNINTENDED characteristics. The current “final” testing of these GMOs only evaluates the desired traits. Testing for any UN-desired traits by NEUTRAL third-parties is NOT a requirement for FDA approval in the United States!! Instead, the FDA accepts unquestioningly the testing data produced by the very corporations who will make the profits on the products. Talk about hiring the fox to guard the hen-house!
In addition to producing “unnatural” crops with genes to endow insect resistance, “they” (led by Monsanto) produce GMO crops resistant to the insecticide (RoundUp) which they, Monsanto, already produce (more profit!). Then methodically buying up seed companies worldwide, Monsanto has proceeded to monopolize the entire seed industry with their “RoundUp Ready” products. They have more recently introduced what is called the “Terminator Gene”, a gene that causes their seeds to die after only one season. No longer will farmers be able to gather seeds from their own crops to replant next year – They must buy new seed from Monsanto! This appears to be a very clever, but diabolical, long-term scheme to totally dominate the world’s food supply. Beware!
Since the mid 1990′s they have been quietly introducing GMO foods into our grocery stores – without even telling us, without even labeling it. Today, the percentage of GMO in some common products is:
94% of all cotton,
94% of all soy products are GMO!
91% of all canola oil,
88% of all corn,
70% of of processed foods on supermarket shelves–from soda to soup, crackers to condiments contain GMO products,
Plus growing percentages of sugar beets, crook neck squash, zucchini, papaya, and alfalfa.
This is a short GMO video (under 4 minutes) “Genetic engineering: The world’s greatest scam”. Unfortunately, it omits most of the material that would stir your soul – which hopefully would spur you into action to help stop this disaster from continuing.
And here’s a preview/trailer of the movie “Genetic Roulette Movie _ The Gamble of Our Lives” which will hopefully persuade you to watch the full-length (85 minutes) version.
OK, it’s time to watch the excellent full length movie HORROR film. You need to understand the importance of this subject and how it’s already impacting people worldwide. Please be sure you have the time to watch it. If you don’t have time right now, then come back later to watch the full movie. It may leave you trembling and angry, but you’ll be glad you’ll know what’s really going on.
We suggest that you open the following link with Right Click and select “Open in New Window”. This will allow you to continue reading this article, or come back to it after watching the movie.
This is the LINK to the full-length movie “Genetic Roulette Movie _ The Gamble of Our Lives”. We very strongly urge you to watch this absolutely frightening movie with your entire family. Take the time to watch this – the time you spend will be repaid many times over in how long you live if you heed the warnings, change your diet, and avoid GMO food.
Now here’s a list of 16 reasons to go organic to protect yourself, your children, your grandchildren, and your beautiful planet.
* Fully Organic food contains NO GMO, or insecticides, chemicals, etc. Note that the “USDA Organic” seal/sticker actually ALLOWS up to 5% GMO – beware! Better to look for the “Non-GMO Project Verified” seal/sticker (with orange butterfly and green grass blades) which is guaranteed 100% GMO free!
* Children’s growing brains and bodies are far more susceptible to toxins than adults. Choosing organic helps feed their bodies without the exposure to pesticides and genetically-modified organisms.
* You’ll avoid the neurotoxins that are damaging to brain and nerve cells. These were originally developed as a toxic nerve agent during World War I. In peace-time industry adapted them to kill pests on foods. Gotta keep making those profits! Many pesticides are still considered neurotoxins.
* Organic food is the sustainable choice for the future. Whereas, modern agricultural practices are destructive of the environment through widespread use of herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizers and have resulted in drastic environmental damage in many parts of the world.
* Most organic food simply tastes better than the pesticide-grown or GMO counterparts. Tests with cattle have shown that when given two piles of corn, one GMO and the other conventionally grown, the cattle would not eat the GMO corn until the other was gone.
* Organic food supports wildlife habitats. Wildlife is being harmed by exposure to pesticides, even with commonly used amounts.
* Eating organic meat lessens your exposure to antibiotics, synthetic hormones, and drugs that find their way into the animals and ultimately into you.
* The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that pesticides pollute drinking water for half the American population. Organic farming is the best solution for this. Buying organic helps reduce pollution in our drinking water.
* The EPA considers 60% of herbicides, 90% of fungicides, and 30 percent of insecticides potentially cancer-causing. It is reasonable to think that the rapidly increasing rates of cancer are at least partly linked to the use of these carcinogenic pesticides. Eating organic has the potential to sharply decrease your chances of getting cancer!
* Organic farms are safer for farm workers. Research found a 70 percent increase in Parkinson’s disease among people exposed to pesticides. Buying organic foods means more people will be able to work on farms without creating the higher potential health risk of Parkinson’s or other illnesses.
* Organic food is as safe as it gets! By some estimates genetically-modified food makes up 80% of the average person’s food consumption. Genetic modification of food is still experimental. Avoid being part of this wide scale and uncontrolled experiment.
* Organic food supports greater biodiversity. Diversity is fundamental to life on this planet. Genetically-modified and non-organic food is focused on high yield monoculture and is destroying biodiversity.
* Organic food has consistently been shown in many studies to be higher in nutrients. Organic produce is higher in vitamin C, antioxidants, and the minerals calcium, iron, chromium, and magnesium.
* Organic food choices grown on small-scale organic farms help ensure the survival of independent family farmers.
* Organic food doesn’t contain food additives that can cause health problems such as heart disease, osteoporosis, migraines and hyperactivity.
* Organic farming standards prohibit the routine use of antibiotics and growth hormones in farm animals.
* Organic food comes from trusted sources that are inspected to high standards to ensure compliance to organic standards.
Just what is Organic Food, and why should I care?
Here’s a tip to identify produce ….
Those PLU codes on produce at the grocery store can be deciphered to give you clues about what you are buying. Organic, conventionally-grown, and even genetically modified foods (GMO) should follow the produce labeling system.
PLU numbers on conventionally grown foods should have only 4 digits and begin with 4, for example: 4131
PLU codes for organically grown produce will contain 5 digits and begin with 9: 94131
PLU codes on genetically modified items SHOULD contain 5 digits and begin with 8: 84131
Here are some PLU examples:
# 94129 Organic
# 4131 Conventional
Unfortunately most GMO products no longer use the 8xxxx code – They have caught onto the fact that most people won’t buy GMO if they know what they’re looking for!
Want more evidence? See this site from the Institute of Responsible Technology, “the most comprehensive source of GMO health risk information on the web”.
Simply stated, we collectively can stop this GMO steam-roller by
1. Becoming aware,
2. Passing laws to force labeling of ALL GMO products, and
3. STOP buying GMO food and other GMO products
This truly is an emergency occurring right “under our noses” (where our mouths are!). The entire world is being subjected to experimental food products that are likely to be causing widespread illnesses and threatening mass destruction of the natural genetic of all plants and animals, and indeed perhaps the future survival of the human race.
If you have any views on this, or experiences of your own you’d like to share, I’d love to hear from you – please leave a comment below.
And if you’ve enjoyed this post, please don’t forget to “Google+” it, “Like” it and Share it with your friends!
Incoming Search Terms:
- Do any poisonous plants get confused for teaberry
- PLU code
Filed under: Edible Plants
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!